Friday, July 8, 2011

Besao Part IV

It has been a few weeks since my last blog. The reason is that Besao has been abuzz for the past 2 weeks due to a group of Korean college students visiting. I traveled with them on their hike to a remote village within Besao’s Municipality. Besao is a huge Municipality by area. Some places in Besao take over 3 hours to reach by car or jeepney. Their leader, Rev. Peter Choi, was extremely nice and it was a pleasure to share a couple of laughs with some fellow travelers. 

The past few weeks for me have been a blast. I have continued to teach soccer to the students during their PE period. Soccer has been nothing short of a phenomenon in Besao recently. Every moment the weather allows there are kids playing soccer on St. James’ field. Even when I show up at the beginning of the school day, there are 4 sticks in the ground representing the goals from the pre- 8am pick-up game (A game that I have never either played in or actually witnessed). Next week will be our interest meeting, yet they are already having student-led practices this weekend. Like I said in my previous blog some of these kids are scary good. I am almost glad I will be leaving in late July, because if I stay much longer than that my students will surpass my skill level in soccer. A friendly against Sagada (Besao’s neighboring municipality) has already been scheduled, and they were kind enough to squeeze it in for before I leave.

I would love to tell you more about each and every kid that has amazed me with their talent and ability to improve, but I can’t. There probably aren’t many other results when you google Besao soccer, and I don’t want to give Sagada a scouting report. 

No comments:

Post a Comment