Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I need...

There are several changes in my personality since I have been here that I am noticing. I am far more resilient to having a bad day here than I ever have in the US, and I was fairly resilient in the US. All I thought I needed was a decent night’s sleep, a hot shower, and some decent conversation with entertaining people. If I was having a bad day, I could always go to the gym or just go for a drive.

In the Philippines I get woken up most mornings by a rooster or the ringing of a bicycle bell. I haven’t taken a hot shower in two and a half months. The only people I ever “hang out” with are my co-workers or the local Mormon missionaries. There is no gym in Santiago and I don’t own a car. I have been able to live without these things just fine. It makes me think these comforts were all strictly psychological. I don’t actually need any of these things, I just thought I did.

To add onto my theory, the Mormon missionaries are only allowed to e-mail once a week, and call home once a year. While my first reaction is that I could not do that, they seem perfectly happy with what they have. This makes me wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes. What exactly do you need? I mean REALLY need? This is the biggest thing I hope to take away from this year. I hope when I get home I can truly appreciate everything I have, but be perfectly happy with the barest of necessities.

No comments:

Post a Comment