Monday, September 20, 2010

Foxholes, mystery meat, and the Jersey Shore

I took a couple of trips since my last blog. I went to Oyao, Cabatuan, and Belar. Oyao and Cabatuan are both really cool rural villages. In Oyao I hiked up one of the highest hills in the area to measure a water tank. I looked around amazed as to how far I could see in every direction. Apparently I was not the first one to come to that realization because I then realized I was standing on the edge of a World War II foxhole. Cabatuan was great. The people there were wonderful. If everything goes as planned, I will be able to stay in the village during the instillation of the water system that I am the technical consultant for. Belar was not as rural. It is a beach-side town where I had the opportunity to relax, play some basketball, and drink a beer beach side. Ironically, that was exactly what my extend family were all doing at that exact moment in Florida for my cousins wedding. I am still really bummed out that I couldn’t make it to congratulate my cousin Becky and new cousin Jason.

In the last few weeks the charcoal briquette project has gotten a lot closer to reality. I have the support of just about everyone, and we could have briquettes made by Christmas. I am starting to get nervous about this project, because my reputation and the confidence of a bunch of young adults are all riding on this project. But no risk no reward, and I know it can be a success.

My TV is hooked up are I get quite a few English channels. To my continued amazement, TMZ is the most common show on TV. It runs on almost every English channel at some point during the day. I think that may be the reason the world hates America. On a very sad and hilarious note, Jersey Shore is one of the few “reality shows” they show here, meaning that is actually what they think America is like. Every once in a while, when I’m watching a little TV at night, I will forget I’m in the Philippines. Then I will flip passed televised live cockfighting, and I just have to laugh.

I am becoming far more comfortable going downtown recently. I found a really nice meat shop, and they have made my diet far more carnivorous in the past week. I have also made it a habit to buy a couple of random mystery items at the grocery store. Most of these experiments have gone well, except the mystery meat I bought that cost 30 cents. I still haven’t build up the courage to try it yet.

In order to upload pictures, I need to get online when the computer is fastest in the wee hours of the morning, so expect a picture filled post in a few days. Finally, I need a better title for my blog. I can't think of a good one. If you have any ideas, please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment